Sunday, January 4, 2009

Life Journal 01-04-2009

Handling Temptation

(S) Scripture
And the devil said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread."
And Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE.'"
Luke 4:3-4 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
When the devil tempted Jesus, Jesus answered him with scripture. In this passage Jesus is tempted in three important areas: Food, Power and Life. Jesus answered each of these temptations by quoting Scripture. Interesting is the fact that Satan quoted scripture as part of the temptation. Jesus had to discern what the devil was doing and how he was misusing scripture.

(A) Application
God's Word is my best defense in overcoming temptation. When I know God's Word I can recognize when it is being misused and when I need to use it as a defense. Since I do not carry my Bible 24/7 I must write God's word on my heart (memorize). When I commit the word to memory I can immediately recall it when needed. Psalm 119:11 says, I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Hid in my heart not my notebook. When it is in my heart God can use it when I need it most. Today I will hid God's word in my heart so that I have something to use when I am tempted.

(P) Prayer
Lord, you know how often I give in to temptation. Too often it is because I try to face it on my own. Today I will face it with your Word. Help me to recall what I need so that I can overcome temptation rather than being overcome by it. Amen

No comments: