Friday, January 16, 2009

Life Journal 01-16-2009

Blind to Needs

(S) Scripture
"There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores. Luke 16:19-21 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Jesus is teaching in parables about being faithful. Here he tells about a rich man who ignores a poor man right at his door. The rich man either does not see Lazarus or he chooses to ignore his need. Jesus has some harsh words for the rich man and comforts Lazarus after they die. The rich man wants God to do something spectacular for his brothers but Jesus refuses. If they don't believe the prophets they won't believe one who comes back from the dead. The rich man thought he had it all and that he had earned it and that he did not need to share with those in need and it cost him eternally.

(A) Application
I wonder how often I overlook or ignore those in real need that are right in front of me. Does my pride keep me from offering help to those less fortunate (even if by their own choice) than me. So often I find myself thinking that I deserve what I have and so do they. How bankrupt is this kind of "us vs. them" thinking. I am called to be Christ ambassador in this world and Jesus never ignored people in need. He offered help and healing or he challenged their spiritual pride. Today I want to be aware of the people around me and to offer help where I can and challenge to those who need it. I want to live a life that pleases the Lord.

(P) Prayer
Father, it is easy for me to ignore the poor and needy and I ask for your forgiveness. Make me aware of the people around me and help me to be the person you want me to be. Let me help where I can and challenge where necessary. Let me experience and share your love today. Amen

No comments: