Monday, January 19, 2009

Life Journal 01-19-2009

Intentional

(S) Scripture
When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today."
So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.
All the people saw this and began to mutter, "He has gone to be the guest of a 'sinner.'"
Luke 19:5-7 (NIV)

(O) Observation
The story of Zacchaeus is an interesting one. Zacchaeus was a tax collector and disliked by the people. He most likely had defrauded and cheated and over charged the people for his own gain. To hear Jesus call him by name and say "I must stay at your house today" must have surely shocked them. Why would Jesus intentionally single out this thief and stay with him. Jesus was intentionally going to those who needed a Savior. Zacchaeus responded by repenting and making more than restitution to the people. Jesus intentionally sought out this sinner in order to see that life transformed.

(A) Application
It seems like a "broken record" (tells my age, some young people have never seen an LP album)but this passage again emphasizes the need for the people of God to intentionally place themselves where they can interact with those who do not know Christ. Sometimes it will be to the chagrin and criticism of other Christians. I cannot let the attitude of others keep me from doing what God asks me to do. One sad fact is that the longer a person is a Christian the fewer non-Christians they know or associate with. Although in this encounter with Jesus Zacchaeus was changed immediately in most cases today it will take some time and a long time for many. Will we as Christians give up on people or will we stick with them even though they don't seem to be responding to the Gospel? I think we need to be in it for the long haul, after all what is a soul worth? Today I will renew my efforts to be with those who are not followers of Jesus. I want to be known as their friend and I will look for opportunities to share my faith with them. I will not give up on them regardless of their response. I pray they will be transformed like Zacchaeus.

(P) Prayer
Father, help me to not be so cautious and conscious of my friendships. Too often I wonder what others might think because of my pastoral calling. If Jesus was a friend of sinners then I should be too. Let that happen for me and let me constantly point people to you. Help me not to give up on people because you never gave up on me. Amen

No comments: