Sunday, January 18, 2009

Life Journal 01-18-2009

Responsibility

(S) Scripture
Your servant guaranteed the boy's safety to my father. I said, 'If I do not bring him back to you, I will bear the blame before you, my father, all my life!'
"Now then, please let your servant remain here as my lord's slave in place of the boy, and let the boy return with his brothers.
How can I go back to my father if the boy is not with me? No! Do not let me see the misery that would come upon my father."
Genesis 44:32-34 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Joseph seems to be taking great delight in making his brothers sweat. They are clueless to his identity and he is making them pay for selling him into slavery. Although Joseph knows it was God who had sent him to Egypt in order to provide for his people during the famine. Judah has promised his father that he would take care of Benjamin. When Joseph takes Benjamin as a slave Judah must step in. Judah takes responsibility for his brother and offers himself as a substitute.

(A) Application
It is from Judah's line that Jesus comes. It is interesting to me that as Judah offers to be Benjamin's substitute Jesus has offered himself to be ours. What we could not do for ourselves Jesus did for us. He died that we might live. We are forgiven and have a relationship with God because of His act on our behalf. I cannot forgive or pardon another. I cannot make another right with God but I can follow Judah's example and take responsibility for my actions and step up to show another the provision God has made for them. Today I will keep my word and do what is right in my relationships with others.

(P) Prayer
Lord, forgive me when I try to cover up my sin. Let me confess to you and make right whatever I need to make right. Let my life reflect your glory to the people I meet. Amen

No comments: