Monday, January 26, 2009

Life Journal – 01-26-2009

Be Still

(S) Scripture
The Lord will fight for you ; you need only to be still. Exodus 14:14 (NIV)

(O) Observation
As the Israelites were leaving Egypt and they saw Pharaoh's army in pursuit they began t be afraid. They feared they would die in the desert and that God would abandon them. Moses then assures them of God's protection and provision with these words.

(A) Application
"Be still." I heard those words a lot as a child. I was active and talkative and I can remember my folks saying, "Robin, be still." It was an effort to get my attention and to focus my actions into something productive, or it may have been just to have some peace and quiet in the house. I wonder how much I have missed because I am so busy fighting my own battles that I crowd out the Lord. How often have I been active and loud when the Lord wants and needs me to be still. Part of being still is so I will recognize that it is the Lord doing the battle and not a result of my efforts. When I am still I am relying on the Lord's strength and protection. When I am fighting I am relying on myself. Today I resolve to "be still" and let God provide and protect me.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I get so antsy and impatient at times. I don't wait very well. Today I want to be still and allow you to do your work and accomplish your purpose in my life. I want you to use whatever circumstances in my life you need to use to accomplish your work. Amen

No comments: