Friday, January 9, 2009

Life Journal 01-09-2009

Not One Of Us

(S) Scripture
"Master," said John, "we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we tried to stop him, because he is not one of us." "Do not stop him," Jesus said, "for whoever is not against you is for you."
Luke 9:49-50

(O) Observation
Jesus recognizes that the disciples have been talking about who is the greatest among them. Then John, one of the "sons of thunder", asked about a man who was not a disciple but was doing things in Jesus' name. It seems to me that John was trying to protect the status of the disciples with Jesus because this man "was not one of them". Jesus reminded John that "whoever is not against you is for you." Let them do what they are called to do.

(A) Application
Many times I am this way. Because a person in "not one of us" I question the "what and why" of their actions. I wonder if it is because I am afraid they will get ahead of me or be more favored by God than me. My selfish pride can keep me from celebrating the work God is doing through people who are not like me. How arrogant is it for me to think that people need to be like me or from my camp before God can use them. Today I will try to keep my pride in check and celebrate what God is doing regardless of the source. IF God ids in it I want to celebrate it.

(P) Prayer
Lord, you know how difficult this will be for me. Help me to recognize Your work and to celebrate it with whoever is accomplishing it. Amen

 

No comments: