Thursday, January 15, 2009

Life Journal 01-15-2009

Jesus' Example

(S) Scripture
Now the tax collectors and "sinners" were all gathering around to hear him.
But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, "This man welcomes sinners and eats with them."
Luke 15:1-2 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Jesus welcomed all who came to hear him. Their background or life situation or heritage did not matter to him. He was called a "friend of sinners". When he is rebuked by the religious people he simply tells them a parable about what is important to God. The series of "lost" stories gives us Jesus' priorities.

(A) Application
I wonder what people say about me. Am I a "friend of sinners" or do I associate only with "righteous" people. One indictment against Christians is that the longer they are Christians the fewer non-Christians they know. If Jesus was seen with sinners, I should not be afraid to be seen with them. My reputation as a pastor is not tarnished by my association with those who do not yet believe. I must intentionally put myself in contact with those who do not know Christ. Today I will continue to look for opportunities to connect with people who have not yet followed Jesus.

(P) Prayer
Father, Thank you for saving me and allowing me to be called your child. Let me never forget what that means. Help me to connect with those who need your forgiveness and let me be their friend. God use me today. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor, keep on pushing this theme. Too many believers have become little more than inward focused myopic Christians who would love to hang out in holy huddles, protecting their own interests and serving their own needs. One of the reasons is an incredible misunderstanding of the verse, "Refrain from the 'appearance' of all evil." It's one of the most misunderstood texts in the Bible. So, keep on bowling and doing whatever else you need to do to hang out with the "pagans." We admire you for it. Keep pushing us as we applaud you. Got to go now...time to go have a beer with my neighbor! :)

yes....the old bud!