Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Life Journal – 01-21-2009

False Messiahs

(S) Scripture
"Teacher," they asked, "when will these things happen? And what will be the sign that they are about to take place?"
He replied: "Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and, 'The time is near.' Do not follow them.
Luke 21:7-8 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Jesus is teaching about the end times. The people ask a natural question about when this will happen. In Jesus' answer he tells them to beware of those claiming to be the messiah and are not. Don't follow them. Implied is that they will be charismatic and people will be drawn to follow them but believers are not to do so.

(A) Application
The crowds at the inauguration yesterday in Washington were treating President Obama like a messiah. People were caught up in worship of him. Now let me say that I don't think the President has ever called himself a messiah but it sure seems he plays into that kind of adulation. As Christians we are to obey and pray for our leaders and I will do so for President Obama. I do not think he "walks on water" and will not be caught up in this Obama mania. I want the President to do what is right and godly and in the best interest of the people. I want him to lead and as he does I want him to experience God's love and grace. I want him to grow in his devotion to Jesus. That's what I want for our country, too. I do not want us to grow in our devotion to Obama. That is not good for him or our country. Today I will pray for my President and I will worship the Lord Jesus.

(P) Prayer
Lord, lay your hand on the President and let him sense your strength for the task and your guidance for the way. Let me worship you today and follow only you. Help me to spot the imposters. Amen

No comments: