Saturday, June 7, 2008

Life Journal 06-07-2008 - Quick Promises

Quick Promises

(S) Scripture
Ecclesiastes 5:1-2 (NIV) 1 Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. Go near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools, who do not know that they do wrong. 2 Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few.

(O) Observation
When we come before God we should take note of where we are. In this place we are to "be still" and listen rather than active and talking. God will hold us to what we say so we should be careful and not foolish when we are before Him.

(A) Application
Too often when I am before God I do all the talking. How arrogant and foolish is that? I will often make quick and foolish promises to God thinking it sounds spiritual but in reality this passage describes them as the "sacrifice of fools."
Today I will listen more and speak less. I will speak carefully and then keep the promises I make.

(P) Prayer
Lord, thank you for forgiving me when I am hasty and mouthy. Teach me to listen intently and then to carry out the promises I make. Amen

No comments: