Friday, June 27, 2008

Life Journal 06-27-2008 Using Godly Tools

Using Godly Tools

(S) Scripture
Even if you go and fight courageously in battle, God will overthrow you before the enemy, for God has the power to help or to overthrow." 2 Chronicles 25:8 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Amaziah has amassed an army from Judah but hires soldiers from Israel as well. God was opposed to Israel at this time. When Amaziah sought the counsel of the "man of God" he was told not to take the Israelite soldiers into battle because God opposed them and God could either help or overthrow Amaziah.

God wants his people to trust Him in their battles and not to trust in their own devices or abilities or armies. It is never good to enlist the ungodly to fight with us. The outcome is that God will overthrow us in the face of our enemy.

(A) Application
I wonder how often I enlist the ungodly or worldly to help me accomplish what I think is God's will. Whether it is people, or things or forces or methods if they are not godly they lead to destruction. How often have we used secular ideas and methods to attract people and then wonder why things failed or the people did not stick with their decisions.

We must rely only on God and use the resources He provides. I will take care to be sure that the resources I use to accomplish God's work will meet with His approval because I want his help and not to be overthrown to the enemy.

(P) Prayer
Lord, let me trust only in you and the resources you provide and approve. Make me keenly aware when I am about to use resources that do not meet your approval. I do want and need your help in all things. Amen

No comments: