Thursday, June 12, 2008

Life Journal 06-12-2008 Sound Advice

Sound Advice

(S) Scripture
1 Kings 12:8 (NIV) 8 But Rehoboam rejected the advice the elders gave him and consulted the young men who had grown up with him and were serving him.

(O) Observation
The elders had given good and sound advice to Rehoboam but he rejected it and favored the advice of his peers. Their advice was youthful, selfish and ambitious centered in their exercise of power over others. The elders had a perspective that neither Rehoboam nor his peers had. They saw the future and his peers only looked at the present.

(A) Application
I need to listen to the advice of elders. In some circles I am now considered an elder (now that is a revelation). Life experience and maturity as a Christian gives some wisdom that others do not yet have. I need to listen to the counsel of elders.

(P) Prayer
Lord, thank you for giving me access to elders who give sound advice. Thank you for their wisdom and maturity and their willingness to share that with me. Let me give similar sound advice when I counsel others. Amen

No comments: