Monday, June 16, 2008

Life Journal 06-16-2008 From Faith to Fear

From Faith To Fear
(S) Scripture
1 Kings 19:2-3 (NIV) 2 So Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah to say, "May the gods deal with me, be it ever so severely, if by this time tomorrow I do not make your life like that of one of them." 3 Elijah was afraid and ran for his life...

(O) Observation
Elijah has just had a great victory on Mt. Carmel and the people have killed all the prophets of Baal. Jezebel, the king's wife who brought Baal worship to Israel, has threatened to kill Elijah because he had all her prophets put to death. Because of this threat Elijah runs away in fear and hides.

(A) Application
How often do I experience a great spiritual victory and then at the first peep of a threat out of the devil's mouth I run and hide. It is as if God will not defend me. I have gone from faith to fear. Where is my faith? I would expect that great victories would lead to greater confidence in God's power but I am too much like Elijah. Today I will trust God and stand in his power, I will not cower in fear.

(P) Prayer
Lord, you have proven yourself worthy of my trust over and over. I want to trust you and I know that you protect me. Grant me courage and confidence to live by faith and not in fear. Amen

No comments: