Wednesday, June 25, 2008

LIfe Journal 06-25-2008 Put Away Fear

Put Away Fear

(S) Scripture
Timothy 1:7 (NIV) For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

(O) Observation
As Paul is encouraging Timothy to "fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you" (vs.6) he reminds Timothy not to be afraid. God has not given a spirit of fear but of power, love and self discipline. That is everything he will need to do what God has called him to do.

(A) Application
As I think about the invitation to teach and train pastors in Kenya I get somewhat afraid. IS this legit? Is it safe? Why me? This passage reminds me that God gives power, love and self discipline not fear. God is not the author of fear. Sometimes I confuse "being careful and thorough" with fear of the unknown. This opportunity opens many doors and has the potential to impact all of western Kenya. I must not be afraid or stupid but must trust that God is in control and will provide what I need.

(P) Prayer
Lord, let me again know your power, love and self discipline. Let me put away my fear and follow you. Amen

No comments: