Monday, June 30, 2008

Life Journal 06-29-2008 Woe to the Complacent

Woe To The Complacent

(S) Scripture
Amos 6:1 (NIV) 1 Woe to you who are complacent in Zion, and to you who feel secure on Mount Samaria, you notable men of the foremost nation, to whom the people of Israel come!

(O) Observation
Amos is preaching to a people who thought that being an Israelite was all God required. They were complacent in what it meant to be the people of God and they were falsely secure. They thought these external things made them "good with God"

Amos warn them that judgment is coming because they had not trusted in or acknowledged God. They were content in themselves and sorely mistaken.

(A) Application
I see many Christians in this same boat. They think that because of some emotional experience or intellectual understanding or some decision they made long ago they are "good with God," and it just isn't so. They think they can live anyway they choose and do anything they want - after all God loves them and must forgive them. They misunderstand forgiveness and what it means to be a follower of Jesus. It is sad but here they are complacent and falsely secure but unaware that judgment is coming.

I must never think that way or fall into that trap. I must continually trust and acknowledge God and follow him only.

(P) Prayer
Lord make me so aware of your presence that I will know when I have turned from you to trust my own ways. I want to always trust You. Amen

No comments: