Monday, June 23, 2008

Life Journal 06-23-2008 Remembering a Mentor

Remembering a Mentor

(S) Scripture
1 Timothy 5:1-2 (NIV) 1 Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, 2 older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity.

(O) Observation
As Timothy was taking the leadership of the church in Ephesus Paul gives him this instruction about how to treat people. Respect is seen through this instruction. The idea of "with absolute purity" removes any hint of improper or immoral relationships. People will follow when you treat them like this.

(A) Application
Ward Robinson was my uncle and a respected pastor in the American Baptist Churches -USA. He spoke at my installation as pastor for the first church I served. He gave me this advice in order to have a long term pastorate:
1. Treat everyone with respect
2. Do not show favoritism even though you will have favorites
3. Deal with conflict immediately
If you practice those three things you will be able to stay a long time at this church. I have tried to practice this in my ministry. I believe it works. I was at First Baptist Wheeling, WV, for thirteen years and am completing six years here at FBC Charlotte.

His advice came right out of this passage in 1 Timothy. He was to me as Paul was to Timothy. Today I have been reminded of the role mentors play in your life. I thank God for Uncle Ward and hope to be of similar help to a young pastor that will come after me.

(P) Prayer
Lord, thank you for Uncle Ward, his wise counsel and the example he set for me. I am a better pastor because of his influence. Thank you for using his life in mine. Amen

No comments: