Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Life Journal 06-24-2008 Be Careful Who You Listen To

Be Careful Who You Listen To

(S) Scripture
2 Chronicles 24:17-18 (NIV) After the death of Jehoiada, the officials of Judah came and paid homage to the king, and he listened to them. 18 They abandoned the temple of the LORD, the God of their fathers, and worshiped Asherah poles and idols. Because of their guilt, God's anger came upon Judah and Jerusalem.

(O) Observation
Jehoida, the priest, had mentored Joash since the king was a child. Joash had followed his instruction. Joash had restored the temple and done many other good and godly things for the people. But after Jehoida died Joash began to listen to counselors who were far from God. Their counsel led to God's judgment and anger. Joash should have continued to do what Jehoida had instructed and ignored his "new" counselors.

(A) Application
I must be careful in the counselors I choose and in listening to the counsel they give. It must be from God. It is easy to take an expedient road or abandon a difficult path when your counselors are encouraging you to do so, but the end of that is destruction. I must be very careful is choosing those I listen to.

(P) Prayer
Lord, let me be so aware of You that counsel that is not from you will stick out like a sore thumb. Help me to choose counselors wisely. Thank you for guiding me as I walk by faith in the power of your Spirit. Amen

No comments: