Sunday, June 1, 2008

Life Journal - 6-1-08

Knowledge and Enthusiasm

(S) Proverbs 19:2 (NIV) 2 It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way.

(O) Our faith and action must be based in knowledge not just emotion. We must be willing to wait on the Lord. Being in a hurry only takes us down wrong paths. God is never in a hurry or rush and we should follow His example.

(A) In 1972 I was on Campus Crusade for Christ staff. Dr. Earl Radmacher, then President of Western Conservative Seminary, was the speaker at a conference where I was leading the singing. As we talked that week he gave me some sound advice about my need for a seminary education. He said, "Enthusiasm without knowledge leads to fanaticism and knowledge without enthusiasm leads to stagnation." We must have both enthusiasm and knowledge for our faith and ministry to grow and be vibrant. I am ever thankful for this counsel and am appreciative of my seminary education.

(P) Lord, I thank you for Dr. Radmacher's wise counsel in my life and for the education I received. Let me give that same wise counsel to others. Let me serve you with a balance of enthusiasm and knowledge. Amen

No comments: