Sunday, June 22, 2008

Life Journal 06-22-2008 Hey Preacher, Watch Yourself

Hey Preacher, Watch Yourself

(S) Scripture
1 Timothy 4:16 (NIV) Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

(O) Observation
Paul tells Timothy that what a preacher believes and how he lives is of utmost importance to God and his ministry. The result of sticking with (persevering) your life and doctrine is that a right relationship with God comes to you and your hearers.

(A) Application
I can never divorce how I live from what I believe. I must be sure that what I believe is from God and that my life reflects what I believe. I must then live it out day by day. There are no "one hit wonders" who are successful in the pulpit. We have seen too many fall recently. My faithfulness is important to me and also to the people who hear me preach. To be an effective witness for Jesus I must be sure my doctrine is correct and my life reflects it.

(P) Prayer
Lord, Let me live a life of integrity based in your Word and Will. Amen

No comments: